Food and Nutrition Curriculum
We aim to ensure that all pupils:
- Are equipped with the knowledge and skills required to cook.
- Understand and apply the principles of food science, nutrition and healthy eating.
- Are able to critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others .
- Are able to make informed decisions about a wide range of further learning opportunities and career pathway.
- Develop vital life skills that enable them to feed themselves and others affordably and nutritiously, now and later in life.
Years 9, 10, 11
QUALIFICATION: GCSE in Food Preparation and Nutrition (C560P1)
AWARDING BODY: WJEC EDUQAS
What will I learn?
This course encourages learners to cook, enables them to make informed decisions about food and nutrition and allows them to acquire knowledge in order to be able to feed themselves and others affordably and nutritiously both, now and later in life. In studying Food students will learn about different foods, properties of ingredients, processes food preparation and techniques. You will learn how to plan, prepare and cook a range of dishes based on skill development.
How will I learn?
Students following the food preparation and nutrition course will develop their practical cookery skills, complete experiments, and also increase their knowledge and understanding of food and food products.
Students will be expected to provide their own ingredients for practical work and to develop their knowledge by testing new foods, watching TV food programmes, reading recipe books and cooking at home.
How will I be assessed?
You will complete two internally assessed units and one externally assessed exam.
Coursework: (internally assessed)
Assessment 1: A scientific food investigation assignment [15% of GCSE]
Assessment 2: The Food Preparation Assessment (Prepare, cook and present a menu) [35% of GCSE]
Principles of Food Preparation and Nutrition: Exam 1h 45m [50% of GCSE]
Possible Careers/Future Pathways:
Hospitality and catering is a growing sector of the jobs market and there are numerous opportunities within this industry from retail, hotel work, chef etc.
Higher education courses include those related to hospitality management, food science and culinary management. There are also apprenticeship opportunities for those wishing to train for employment through this route.