Speech and Language support
- Model speech to the children by repeating words back to them correctly.
- Give children time to process what you have asked and respond.
- Use simple language and break instructions down into smaller steps.
- Encourage children to answer questions, such as who, what, where, when and why? When reading their books. Encourage them to tell you the story in their own words.
- Talk about all your experiences in detail, teaching new vocabulary all the time.
- Discuss vocabulary in books, making sure the children understand the meaning of tricky words.
- Play lots of games with your child to encourage social skills, such as taking turns and winning and losing.
- Use a visual timetable and visual aids to provide structure and routines.
Continue to work on Speech and Language targets set by the Speech and Language Therapist (if already seen).